Metabolic process by which toxins are changed into less toxic or more easily excretable substances is known as Detoxification. Through detoxification only, the body gets rid of the waste materials that, if left alone, would slow us down, tire us out, and indeed harm us.
The market is flooded by products claiming to detox. It used to refer to strict regimes that rid the body of toxins, but now it seems to be the buzz marketing word for just about anything; oscillating bath salts, patches and tights, right through to special water.
There is a growing trend of retreats professing a wide range of detox treatments which can cost anything from rs1000 – rs 10,000. If you are lucky, you will be in the safe hands of experts who can guide you through the physical and emotional hurdles you may face, but for those unlucky ones, you could be left to your own devices and made to feel unworthy if you dare to complain
Our bodies are subjected to abuse not just from the food we eat but also from our homes and the environment. Pollution, smoke, chemicals and so much more bombard our bodies every day.
The word detox can mean many things – fasting, a strict regime including bowel and liver cleansing or simply a break from the everyday toxins and time to spend enhancing your diet and lifestyle to create a better you. So here are some best home remedies for you.
Drinking water can help flush the body of toxins. Many of us confuse thirst signals for hunger pangs. If in doubt, drink some water before you grab the nearest snack. You need to drink at least 6 glasses of water a day to help cleanse the whole system.We would recommend adding a slice or two of lemon, particularly first thing in the morning.
Exercise not only helps keep you fit but it also plays an important role when you are detoxing. Moving helps prevent your lymphatic system from getting sluggish and congested. Exercise also releases feel-good endorphins so you will become happier and brighter.
Epsom Salt Baths
These can increase circulation, aid the lymphatic system and help you relax. The high magnesium content helps ease aching muscles. Seek your doctor’s advice if you have any health problems, high or low blood pressure or are pregnant.
Ways to cut down your exposure to toxins
- Eating an organic diet frees you from agrochemicals.
- Filtering your water (reverse osmosis systems are best for this).
- Quit smoking and avoid smoky environments.
- Look at the chemicals you use in your home. opt for natural cleaning products – bicarbonate of soda, vinegar and lemon juice are great old-fashioned remedies to a multitude of cleaning problems!
- Cut down or avoid alcohol. Even going for a few weeks without alcohol can give your liver a well-deserved holiday.
- Dodge caffeine. You may experience withdrawal headaches for a few days. opt for green tea and plenty of water and avoid fizzy drinks.
- Avoid packed food. Instead eat real, homemade food, with plenty of raw foods, especially vegetables.
Detox Water and weight loss
Consumption of water may aid to you lose weight, and this applies to detox water too. Water has been shown to temporarily raise your metabolic rate, so you burn more calories.
Here are some simple, easy-to-make detox drinks that will help you lose weight and glow in no time!
1. Green Tea and Lemon
The goodness of green tea is well known. It helps you lose weight and look fresh. A detox drink of green tea and lemon is what you need to start your day with.
· Green tea boosts your immunity. It is a good source of catechins, a type of antioxidants. Antioxidants scavenge the free radicals, thereby slowing down ageing and preventing the proliferation of cancer cells.
· Lemon helps in reducing the extra body fat by aiding in activating bile from the liver to the small intestine.
2. Avocado, Cucumber, And Flaxseeds
A healthy smoothie in the morning, right after your run, will make you feel re-energized and rehydrated. Avocado, cucumber, and flaxseeds put together in a smoothie make the perfect energy booster.
· Cucumber and Avocados help to flush out toxins and rehydrates the cells.
· Flaxseeds have a high polyphenol antioxidant content that helps to detoxify the body. It also aids weight loss, helps prevent cardiovascular diseases, and decreases insulin resistance.
3. Slimming Detox Water: Cucumber, Grapes
This detox water will make you feel thoroughly refreshed. The cucumber and grapes work together to create magic.
· Grapes are great when it comes to fighting dehydration and controlling blood sugar levels. They help to regulate insulin and increase insulin sensitivity and also slow down ageing.
· Pepper aids in better digestion and is rich in vitamin E.
· Cucumber flushes out toxins and rehydrates your cells
· Lime is very helpful in regulating digestion. It helps with gastritis, heartburn, and constipation.
4. Honey, Lemon, And Ginger
· Honey contains countless vitamins and minerals which helps in metabolizing cholesterol and fatty acids. Honey has a good glycaemic index and promotes better digestion.
· Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and soothes the gastrointestinal tract.
5. Burn Fat Detox Water: Apple cider vinegar, Honey and Cinnamon
· Apple cider vinegar boosts your immunity by lowering blood cholesterol. It regulates insulin, has anti-inflammatory properties, controls blood pressure fluctuation, and also aids weight loss.
· Honey is rich in vitamins and minerals such as calcium, copper, potassium, magnesium, manganese, and zinc. It metabolizes cholesterol and fatty acids and promotes digestion.
· Cinnamon has antioxidant, anti-clotting, and antimicrobial properties. It also controls the blood sugar levels, improves brain function, protects against heart disease, and has a warming effect on the body.
Make sure you drink at least one of these drinks every day to get rid of the toxins accumulated in your body. Drink lots of water as well.