Acidity is a condition of the body where there is excessive acid accumulation in the Gastro-intestinal tract. It may be due to excessive production of acid in the stomach or due to intake of any other compounds or some other reason.It is very important for patients to understand How to reduce Hyperacidity. The pH of the stomach is always acidic but when it is further increased beyond normal then it starts hurting the gastric skin. The gastric juice which contains HCL is highly acidic in nature. The acidity of hyperacidity can be due to following reasons,
- Improper diet habits and starving.
- Stress or frustration
- Due to H.Pylori infection
- High consumption of Tobacco, Coffee, Chocolates and spicy food.
The symptoms of hyperacidity are,
- Burning sensation in the oesophagus (heartburn) and stomach.
- Highly increased appetite
- Ulcers in stomach and duodenum.
- Gastric discomfort and improper digestion.
The treatment for hyperacidity is mainly of the following types,
- Acid neutralizers: Basic compounds such as sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate etc can react with the acid and can neutralize them.
- Gastric protective agents: Agents like sucralfate is gel like substance which is stable in acidic pH.It forms a coating on the skin of the stomach and hence prevents it from the contact of acid for prolonged time.
- PPI’s: These drugs like Omeprazole,Pantoprazole etc can block the Proton pump in the stomach which produces the acid. They can powerfully block the acid for 24 hours.
- Anti-Histamines: Anti histamines like Ranitidine and Famotidine are very popular among people. They indirectly block the acid production in the stomach up to 80%.
- Antibiotics: If there is an H.Pylori infection in the stomach, it can lead to hyperacidity. This infection can be treated by antibiotic therapy for 1-2 weeks with drugs like Amoxicillin, Metronidazole, gatifloxacin etc.
These are the general line of treatment for acute or severe conditions of hyperacidity. Lifestyle and food habits are highly essential for maintaining a healthy living.